The money has left the building!
We did it. We ordered a watermaker. I would like to thank everyone who helped us with this decision which for us, was quite a big one. The comments here on the blog and the private emails we received, both for and against the idea of adding this piece of kit, were very, very helpful. Ultimately what tipped the scale towards us buying one was the incredible deal we secured on a brand new unit. I am 100% sure that we would not have been able to get this low of a price on a similar new watermaker in the future. True or not, the decision was made and the money has left the bank account.
The unit we decided on is a Katadyn Powersurvivor 80E.
The specs on it are as follows:
- Power requirements: 12 volts DC (draws 8 amps)
- Water production (+/- 15%): 3.4 gallons/hour (13 liters/hr)
- Weight: 34 lbs (11.33 kg)
- Dimensions – Pump : 6″ (15 cm) by 16″ (41 cm) by 14″ (36 cm) (HxLxW)
- Dimensions – Membrane Module: 31″ (79 cm) length, 2.5″ (6 cm) diameter
- Feedwater flow rate: 24 gallons/hour (129 liters/hour)
- Salt rejection: 98.4 percent average (96 percent minimum)
I read through the installation manuals and it seems simple enough that even I should be able to do it! How is that for confidence? We’ll see how it turns out.