Top Menu

Is having a Plan B, a fallback plan, contrary to full commitment? In our case I don’t think so. If one was to commit to a multi-day passage from port to port and encounter very bad weather once on route, one method for dealing with this would be to heave to, waiting for the sky to clear a bit before proceeding onward.

I recently purchased a new book titled 9 Years on the 7 Seas, by Anne E. Brevig. Although I have only just begun reading the book the first chapter describes how Anne and her husband lived aboard the boat they intended to cruise the world on FOR 6 YEARS while preparing it for the journey. This allowed them to learn all of their boat’s systems while at the same time save money for their voyage.

Rebecca and I both liked the idea of having a boat here in Kingston and then sailing it south together. The problem with this idea is that our intended departure date is too late in the season to make this work. So, inspired by the book mentioned above a Plan B option could involve waiting another 6-8 months, finding a boat here nearby (PDQ?) and living aboard it here for a portion of that time. Being right on Lake Ontario certainly offers lots of great sailing opportunities and the experience definitely wouldn’t hurt!

The ultimate deciding factor for reverting to the fallback plan will be the sale of our business. If that does not come together in the perfect way for all parties we will happily use our time here to become even more prepared for our adventure!


  1. Wow, you guys are great. I would LOVE to do EXACTLY what you are doing…alas my wife is not a sailor. She does go with me on trips to the US BVI and British BVI to do “day sails” and says she enjoys a day on the water..but not overnight.

    How can I get my wife to love sailing half as much as I do?


    • Has she ever spent a night on a boat in a quiet and calm anchorage? There are many times I can’t even tell that we’re on the water.

Comments are closed.