Top Menu

I mentioned yesterday that we were on the dock at SpiceIsle Marine Boatyard. While we took advantage of that time to swap out our head plumbing, the real reason we were there was to allow Technick Yacht Services, one of the local welding and metal work companies, to do some stainless work for us.

I’ve posted pictures of our new, massive 85 lb. Mantus anchor. As we suspected, the anchor did not mate very well with the stock configuration of our bow. With the roll bar attached to it, we found that we could not draw the anchor in really tight to the bow roller, and this prevented us from being able to secure it properly. We could have left it in the position that you see in the photo below but instead, we opted to use the anchor with the ring removed until we could come up with a better solution.

With some time to think about what changes would need to be made to make it fit, I came up with a plan, and we visited Technick at SpiceIsle to describe what we wanted. Nick said no problem, and we made arrangements to have the work done on Wednesday. In between that first meeting and the time that he actually arrived on the boat, I came up with two other plans, each one better than the last. This only goes to reinforce what I’ve posted before:

–> The first solution is never the best solution!

We are very happy with the finished product, and are super pleased that we can carry our massive anchor as it was meant to be. Thanks to Nick and Kendrick for their help with the welding, and to Mantus for supplying us with such a beast of an anchor!

Oh, by the way, while Kendrick was on the boat, I had him move the mounts for our flagstaff from the stern to the side of the boat. Up until he did that, we were never able to fly our ensign when the dinghy was raised in the davits. Now all is well, and we can show our colors properly!

7 Comments

  1. Looks great Mike!! Did you consider moving the roller further forward? Mind if I ask why you didn’t take that route?

    • Thanks, JD. Yes, I considered that but quickly discarded it as a viable solution, IMO, it would have been an infinitely more difficult thing to do. Lengthening or moving the bow roller forward would have increased the length of the lever, increasing the force working against it when raising the anchor. What we changed was no where near as structural.

  2. we recently got a multi-tool – we decided on a battery powered one instead – very happy we did as don’t have to worry about working in a place that you have to have an extension cord – just a thought that you might want to check out a battery powered one instead – it is amazing how many jobs we are finding we are using it as the “go-to” tool now

  3. Mike – I don’t see an anchor pin or method of securing the anchor to the bow roller assembly. When sailing in moderate to rough seas, with wind forward of the beam, that anchor is bound to bounce up and down. A strap tie down may be sufficient, but only if it is REALLY tight and won’t stretch when it gets wet. If you’re headed windward and will encounter seas greater than 2m, that banging anchor will make a lot of noise down below. I recommend you figure this out before it becomes an issue.

    • Wade: You have obviously been sailing downwind too much. You should remember that for the last 5 years, I have done nothing but sail into the wind! If there’s one thing I understand, it’s the necessity of securing the anchor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Close