Good will holding
Often we hear anchorages described has having “good holding“, or “so-so holding“, or… you get the idea. Skipper Bob even has the holding for all of the anchorages listed in his guide rated from 1-5. I’m curious as to how one rates something like this. For me, it’s pretty much like a light switch. It’s either on or it’s off; your anchor holds or it drags. I know that certain bottom types (mud or soft sand) are better than others (rocks, weeds, etc.) but is that how they are rating this? Or perhaps it is a percentage thing, such as, only 20% of the people who anchor here drag onto the rocks, so I guess that is “pretty good holding.” 😉
In yesterday’s post I showed a pic of Zach and me heading back to anchored ZTC to close the hatches. The dark clouds in the sky looked as if we may get a bit of a thunderstorm. Although it didn’t come until later in the evening when both Rebecca and I were back on board, it did come!
We were told that the place where we are anchored has “so-so holding.” I would like to apply to have that rating raised to at least “good holding.” When that storm kicked up the wind was over 20 knots for at least 15 minutes and the highest gust was 29.6 knots. We swung 180 degrees in that tight little spot, but we didn’t drag. Nor did I notice any of the other boats anchored nearby us dragging.
When we set our anchor yesterday, we ended up a little closer to the boat behind us than we would have liked (I’m sure the Captain of that boat would agree, especially when we started our generator). While on board we looked quite close but from the dinghy, we could see that we were actually a good 2 boat lengths in front of him. Regardless, when that storm started up, we wanted to be ready so we had our instruments on (that’s how I know the wind speed), engines running and foul weather jackets at the ready in case we had to go outside. None of that was needed fortunately but given the short amount of time we would have had to react had we started to drag (in the “so-so holding” anchorage), it was best to be prepared.
The following pics have nothing to do with the above post but I just received them in our email. They were taken by our friends Kirk and Donna when we last went sailing with them. Hopefully we’ll be able to get together with them again this weekend.
Just before we put the second reef in our main sail.
Fenders ready to raft up.
Making our approach.
Flaking the sail after a great day on the water.