While on the flight to Puerto Rico, I commented to Rebecca that we had really made it difficult for ourselves to walk away from the boat that we were going to survey. We had invested a bunch of money to have a surveyor flown in from the USA, and we were traveling with one-way tickets. That said, we promised ourselves that if the boat wasn’t right, we would walk.
As the survey began, our minds were filled with nothing but thoughts of opportunity. As the day went on though, opportunity was replaced with doubt, and still later, concern. As we laid in bed after a very long day, our thought was that we should offer a lower price for the boat to make up for some of the deficiencies that we found. When we awoke, our thinking had shifted to instead, not purchasing the boat altogether. This was an extremely tough decision, both because of our financial and emotional investment, and the position that we’d placed ourselves in.
We had only been awake for a short time when it became apparent that we needed to get access to the internet. As there was no Wi-Fi access in our hotel room, we threw on our clothes and went down to the breakfast area. After first sending the seller a message to state our position, we started brainstorming about what to do next. Two options presented themselves: fly back to Grenada to begin all over again, or fly to Martinique to find another Amel.
We quickly checked flights and found that there was only one flight to Martinique and that it was departing in just under 3 hours. As our hotel was an hour away from the airport, we didn’t have much time to spare. We figured that we’d better go, just in case we decided that we’d want to get on that flight.
All the way to the airport we were still unsure about what to do. We travelled much of the way in silence, each of us mulling the situation over in our mind. When we set foot in the terminal, we had a bit under two hours until that flight was scheduled to depart, but still no decision had been made. Rebecca went directly to the desk to see if there was availability, and I sat down to Skype the broker in Martinique that we had previously spoken to. When Rebecca confirmed that yes, we could get on the flight, I let the broker know that we were on our way, and that we wanted to look at some boats. Our decision was made… off to Martinique we would go. We had no concrete plan, no hotel, no appointments, but we were going, and would figure it out when we got there.
“Successful people make their decisions quickly and change their minds slowly. Failures make their decisions slowly and change their minds quickly.” — Andy Andrews
I am writing this post from a quaint little efficiency apartment just up from the marina in Le Marin, Martinique. While we sat in the San Juan airport waiting to board, our broker friend made the reservation for us. The place is perfect! A bit later this morning we’ll be touring a couple of Amels that hold promise. As before, if we find the right boat, our plan is to sail it home (Grenada). If not, we’ll regroup, and come up with Plan C.