Good news / Bad news.
What would be worse when living on board a boat in Grenada:
- Having your head (toilet) stop functioning
- Developing a leak in your inflatable dinghy
- Having a computer which mysteriously refuses to start
Although none of the above are desirable, I’m going to vote for number 3 because, unlike the first two issues, there is nowhere to have an Apple computer repaired here.
After hours of troubleshooting yesterday, which included the help of a couple of friends here in Grenada, and my computer-savvy friends online, and countless consultations with The Oracle, I came to the conclusion that the issue is almost certainly caused by a hardware failure. Not cool.
- Bad News: This computer is less than one year old. The moist tropical air is seriously hard on electronics.
- Good News: This computer is less than one year old. As of yesterday there were five days remaining on the warranty.
- Bad News: There are no Apple dealers in Grenada. The computer will need to be sent back.
- Good News: Our friends on Shiloh are leaving tomorrow to return to Canada and have offered to bring the computer to an Apple dealer there for us.
- Bad News: I will be without my computer for however long it takes to have it shipped back to me.
- Good News: We have other computers, and I’m still in beautiful Grenada, so how bad can it be, right?
I can make light of this but only because we do have backup computers. This is very serious as I rely upon that computer for everything from weather to communication to banking to updating this blog! Without a second (or 3rd) computer to fill that gap, it would have been a problem. Even with that backup there was some serious cussing happening on our boat yesterday. I’m told the neighbors couldn’t hear it although I don’t know how.
With the repair process having started and a good night’s sleep behind me, I feel better today. In fact, I am especially thankful for our friends on Ainulindale and Shiloh who both, without being asked, made our problem their own and invested time and energy into trying to help. Non-functioning computers may make me unhappy but having good friends makes me smile!