No sink, no water
Who would have thought that trying to eliminate a leak around the edge of a galley sink would turn into a multi-day affair? Well, we would have, especially since we’ve gone through this once already.
Unfortunately, my previous attempt eliminating the leak did not solve the problem, but it was a good practice session. For example, I knew this time that I needed to remove the faucets before I could get the sink out of the counter. I also had a better idea on how to disconnect the supposed-to-be-easy-to-disconnect-water-fittings which are in fact, not all that easy to disconnect. The adhesive that I had bedded the sink with the last time around was adhering in certain spots, making removal of the sink a tad challenging, but obviously as it was still leaking, it was not sealing all the way around the sink.
As I showed in the post I linked above, when we first removed the sink, the bolts which held it fixed to the countertop had all rusted through. My friend Kirk and I spent a fair amount of mental energy yesterday trying to come up with an alternative method of bolting it down. Sadly, we did not come up with any easy solutions.
I even went so far as to price out new sinks, thinking that if we purchased a slightly larger one, we could modify the countertop for it and start anew. After reviewing Boat Bits’ post on the subject I knew what the result was going to be, that being, sinks cost WAY too much dinero! We’ll make the one we have work if it kills me.
Even as a young boy I was a fan of a well-functioning sink.
What am I doing differently this time? To begin, at Kirk’s urging, I spent a lot of time on surface prep yesterday, making sure that both the bottom of the sink and the countertop were free from any dirt or oils which may affect the adhesive bonding. Our Dremel tool got some work during this task and I’m happy to report that both surfaces are now pristine.
I also intend to put down a lot more adhesive/sealant this time around. I’ll be masking the area outside where the sink sits to catch any spillover. I might even end up drilling several new holes in the sink so that I can add new bolts to fix it to the counter top. We’ll see.
We do hope to have this situation resolved today because with the sink out and the faucet removed, we also have our water turned off. Although we have drinking water in a jerry can that we have been using, the lack of running water makes living aboard a tad less comfortable.