One more piece installed
You know, it’s exactly when things are going just a bit too smoothly that Mr. Murphy, of Murphy’s Law fame, has to show up! So it was yesterday as we worked to put the trampoline back on the boat. The tramp has, and I may be using the incorrect term here, a “bolt rope” which runs along the perimeter. This rope slides into a slot on the boat to secure it. We remembered just how difficult it was to remove this at the end of last season so we began the process yesterday by spraying the track with Dry Lube. This worked extremely well and the tramp slid in easily. This should have been our first clue that things would soon go awry!
Lacing the trampoline in is done with a fairly elaborate pattern. We prepared for this by loading photos of the lacing procedure (photos taken during last season’s tear-down) onto my iphone so that we could refer to them while at the boat. Although there were some moments of struggling when we had to force the rope through the same grommet twice, we managed. Just at the point when we were about to tie off the ropes to complete the install and pat ourselves on the back for a job well done… we noticed that we had tightened it so much that we pulled the bolt rope out of the track at one point! 🙁 🙁 🙁
Note: I had to use sad face emoticons there because WordPress doesn’t have a little angry-face, swearing emoticon!
How to fix this? Well, this basically required undoing at least half of the work that we had just completed. So much for finishing the job early. I should also mention though that during the process of redoing all that work we found about 20 bolts that we had loosened off during the tear-down process last year. So perhaps what they say is true… all clouds do have a silver lining? Thank you Mr. Murphy for your assistance with that!
If you look really closely at the above photo you’ll see that we reinstalled the top lifeline, even though it is fairly discolored. Walking around up there with just that one line sure does make it “feel” safer.
Inspired by my preliminary success with that bit of splicing yesterday morning, we picked up a few feet of 1/4″ Spectra to try the whole process shown in the video I linked. I am happy to say that this was the easiest bit of splicing that I have done to date. The instructions in those videos were perfect and end result is, if I must say so myself, beautiful. Based upon this success, and the fact that every other solution for our crappy lifelines either involves a lot of money or what people keep describing as “a lot of elbow grease,” Rebecca and I have decided that we will redo the lifelines with Amsteel rope. My confidence as a do-it-yourself-er must be growing for me to even consider such a thing!
Look at the beautiful taper on that splice. It’s almost a work of art. 🙂