We need to find some charts
As we sit in Georgetown, enjoying the daily (and nightly) activities, we have also been discussing where we shall go from here. An obstacle to making a lot of ground south of here is that we have yet to acquire any charts. We have both paper and electronic charts for all of the Bahamas but nothing further. In Bruce Van Sant’s book The Gentleman’s Guide to Passages South he lists a number of guidebooks for the islands and we purchased all that we could some time ago. He suggests the following as a chart inventory to go along with those guidebooks:
Medium Scale Charts:
- One chart for the Leeward Islands
- One chart for the Windward Islands
- One chart for the Virgin Islands (this one came with the guidebook so we have it)
- Hispaniola: Wavy Line Graphics Waterproof Chart #16
- Puerto Rico: Waterproof Chart #53
- Eastern Caribbean Yachting Series
- Turks and Caicos: Gascoine and Mintys double-sided chart of the Caicos Bank
Pilot (Routing) Charts:
- US Pilot Charts of the Central American Waters
We also need to purchase the Garmin chip for our chartplotter with data for the South-Eastern Caribbean.
We have none of the above. Purchasing them here I think is a non-starter. We’ll make an announcement on the radio net letting others know that we are looking for them but we have also heard several other people doing the same so I’m not sure how much luck we’ll have with that route. I think we’ll probably have to get someone in the US to collect them for us and then mail them here. We have heard that there will be a lot of tax payable should we do so but we do need to get them.