Speed, Comfort and Safety
While I wouldn’t exactly say that we’re on a tight schedule, the clock is definitely ticking down until the time that Rebecca and I say farewell to Grenada for another season. The 850th hash, a big one here in Grenada that we want to participate in, is taking place this Saturday. Sometime following that, we intend to head out, weather permitting of course.
St. George’s, Grenada to Cruz Bay, St. John.
When our boat is stationary down here in Grenada, I admit that we pay little attention to the day-to-day fluctuations in the wind and sea state. We really only concern ourselves with the development of any larger tropical disturbances in our region. When we’re planning a passage though, things change. We then start looking to see how the wind and waves are going to affect our travels. Speed, comfort and safety are the factors that we consider, for the entire time that we’ll be underway.
We recently had a couple of friends complete the passage that we plan to make, Grenada to the Virgins, and it was a unique one for them. They departed Grenada on their Lagoon 380 Beagle Knot with very light winds forecast. LaDonna had this to say after they arrived in St. Thomas:
We are back on St Thomas after 5 nights of sailing directly from St David’s on Grenada. Never had a passage like this one, so easy! We never even had even one wave make it over the bow. We took our jack lines off this afternoon and NO SALT at all. Seas were almost flat, but along with that winds were very light and sometimes non existent. We were able to open some hatches and put up some of our sunshades while under sail, really that’s how calm it was. We never saw more than 13 knots of wind. Almost no traffic on our route either, I think I only saw 3-4 ships during my watches. We motored an hour or two on a couple of days when we were totally becalmed. Mostly we just sailed slowly along enjoying the ride. Dolphins visited us 4 times and the captain caught us a Mahi Mahi. I love my life!
That sounds very pleasant, doesn’t it? Normally these passages are much faster, with a bit more “excitement” thrown in. At this point though, we’re kinda thinking that a slower, calmer passage might be a nice change!
As of this morning, after consulting both PassageWeather and WindGuru, Rebecca and I are leaning towards an early morning Tuesday departure. As the next few days tick by, that may change. In the meantime, we’ll continue to enjoy what little time we have remaining in beautiful Grenada.
Our friends on Truant 3 anchored behind us last night.