Plan D? It’s good to have plenty of options.
One thing that we experienced on our journey south, and that has not changed at all this season, is that whichever direction we wish to go, the wind is blowing from exactly that direction. Yesterday the wind and waves were coming directly from Carriacou, where two possible anchorages that we had planned were located. The third option we considered was simply stopping on the leeward coast of Grenada but we were too psyched up to leave the island only to stop there so we passed that one by. By the time we were midway between Grenada and Carriacou, we had had enough bashing for the day so we immediately changed route for Plan D, tacking towards the small anchorage on the west coast of the Ronde Island. The guidebooks say that this anchorage is rolly even on calm days, which yesterday was not. We planned to do a drive-by and check it out though to see for ourselves. Was it rolly? Sure, a bit, but throughout the evening it was no worse than Prickly Bay, a popular anchorage on the south coast of Grenada. And the best part was that we had the place all to ourselves (at least until a lone French sailor appeared later in the evening).
Ronde Island is just south of Diamond Rock which some of you may have read we climbed earlier this season. There are apparently some nice beaches and trails on the island so we decided to swim to shore this morning to go for a walk. Do you think we could find any trails? Not even close. We covered all of the shoreline that looked at all hospitable and came across no sign of foot paths. Oh well, we’ll have to save that adventure for another day.
After raising anchor from Ronde Island we made our way directly to Hillsborough in Carriacou so that we could check out of the country (Grenada and Carriacou along with Petite Martinique form one country). Just prior to reaching the island we heard an unfamiliar sound… the sound of our fishing rod paying out line. In spite of fishing every time we are out on the water, we have caught very few fish. Today the Gods shined upon us though and presented us with a nice Tuna for dinner!
Leaving the fish in the cockpit on ice, we anchored just off the beach. After making sure everything was squared away, we gathered our papers to check out. Too lazy to put the outboard on the dinghy, we rowed the short distance to shore. The checkout procedure was extremely painless especially considering we knew exactly where to go (we checked into Carriacou 6 months ago). After paying $150.00 EC for our unpaid cruising permit fees, we are now are all legal to head out. We made one more trip to shore, rowing again, to fill our jerry cans with gas and thus are ready for a big journey.
Big journey? Sure. We figured that there’s no better way to get back into the swing of things than to make an overnight sail to St. Lucia. We have some friends that will be there next week including one who’s wife will be back in the US. Maybe we’ll get to hang out with them and explore the island some more.
Our neighbors in Hillsborough. Don’t worry mega-yacht… we’re leaving in a few hours.