Our final sail (of the season)
Back at the end of July we ventured out when the wind was up to 20 or so knots, and I remember at that time we were afraid to even raise our main sail. Today, with even stronger winds forecast, there was no way we were staying tied to the dock.
In fact, it was a perfect day to invite a couple of our friends, Peter and Donna, both long-time sailors, to come and spend a few hours with us on the water. The strong winds that were forecast were definitely present, running between 20-25 knots for most of the day.
Just kidding with that last pic. I found it online and thought it was awesome. Today’s winds came with sunshine, not stormclouds and lightning, and although the temperature was a bit chilly, we had a great day. We started out with one reef in the main and were still able to get some exhilarating sailing in.
The only downside to the day, and we only noticed this when we went to drop it, is our main sail ripped at one of the reefing grommets. Oh well, I guess that stuff happens sometimes. If it was ever going to happen, this is the perfect time to do it, when we were planning on taking the sails off the boat anyway.
After tying Katana safely back in her slip Rebecca and I decided to take the dinghy off, deflate it and pack it away. It was looking a tad scummy though so Rebecca gave it a good scrubbing first. The dinghy, outboard motor, and all of the sails will be moved off the boat tomorrow to a land-based storage area. We’ll be one step closer to being ready for haul-out.