My favorite island is…
“I just loved _______________ (insert name of island), it was our favorite place.” Quite often when we hear statements like this, the cruiser’s chosen ‘bit of paradise‘ differs greatly from ours and thus we feel compelled to ask the question “Why?” We had this exact conversation with some friends of ours recently and they listed for us the top 3-4 things that, when found, place an island high on their list of desirable places. Interestingly, their criteria was quite a bit different than ours!
So, my questions for today are, if you’ve been cruising, what has been your favorite spot and what are your Top 3 criteria which earned that island the first-place spot? It might be helpful if you include in your response the areas that you have visited. ex. The US and the Bahamas, the Med., the Eastern and Western Caribbean, etc.
The basic criteria we could think of, in no particular order, are:
- Beaches – sunbathing, surfing
- Protected Anchorages – safe, free from roll, swell
- Internet Access
- Shopping (food) – wine, cheese, bread
- Shopping (marine supplies) – fuel, spare parts
- Shopping (other) – clothing, etc.
- Hiking – mountains, waterfalls
- Social Activities – cruiser socials, pot-luck dinners, etc.
- Diving / Snorkeling
- People (local residents) – friendly
- Other – in case we missed something
We’ll get the ball rolling:
- Our favorite spot (to date) is Grenada and our top 3 reasons are:
- Protected anchorages – If there wasn’t a safe and comfortable place for our boat, we just wouldn’t have remained here to enjoy the rest of the island.
- Hiking – Grenada can easily satisfy our hiking fix. We have been hiking (Hashing) pretty much weekly and there are still countless places left to explore.
- People – We have met a ton of cool people here in Grenada, many of whom we are happy to call friends!
I know it might be tough to pick only one island. It was for us! Try to be honest when replying with your criteria. Don’t answer with what you think you “should” say.
Thanks in advance for playing along!
We went back to visit Mount Carmel again yesterday.