Even more cool
A week and a half ago I wrote a post titled Electrical Troubleshooting, the focus of which was on our boat’s refrigeration system. Bob on Boat Bits, one of the blogs I follow even made mention of it. I’m happy to report that the issue has now been sorted out although we did have to enlist the services of a professional to make it happen. The cause of our troubles? The system was overcharged, meaning there had been too much refrigerant added. Mr. Mitchell, who we ferried out to our boat on Father’s Day, could tell what the problem was as soon as he connected his testing manifold. After he released some of the R134a refrigerant, the system not only cycles on and off as it should (6 minutes on, 4.5 minutes off when I was timing it) but it gets a lot colder too. It seems counter intuitive to me how taking refrigerant out can solve the problem which is why studying how these things work is on my to-do list. Perhaps I’ll start by reading our copy of Nigel Calder’s Boatowner’s Mechanical and Electrical Manual. There appears to be plenty of info in it.
Just before we had our refrigerator fixed, I heard a guy selling a testing manifold on the cruiser’s morning radio net. The price was right so I scooped them up. I don’t know what to do with them exactly but I plan to learn.
Even though we’re not doing a lot of sailing right now, we’re still anxiously awaiting all of the new Dyneema line that we won. For those of you who are new readers of our blog, or who have short memories, our boat was one of 40 winners of a complete set of Dyneema running rigging. We have been in contact with the folks running the show and have been assured that it is all still coming. I guess the riggers in Annapolis are a tad overworked right now. We’re happy to be patient though because as I said, we’re not planning on going anywhere in the immediate future, unless of course what I discussed yesterday changes.
Although this isn’t our Dyneema line, we were admiring it when we visited Budget Marine.
And speaking of line, we just replaced the line holding our trampoline together. I’m not sure if it has ever been changed before and it was starting to look a bit chafed in spots. Falling through the trampoline would not be cool, especially when underway and definitely not when underway with the engines running!!!
and after. The red line that we used for the tramp is the line that we purchased to secure our mast when we took it down to transit the Erie Canal.