As I suspected would be required, after that unfortunate bit of water intrusion, our Yamaha Enduro engine was due for a carb cleaning. The only time that I’ve attempted such a task was with our Tohatsu engine and to be honest, at that time I didn’t really tear the carburetor down to the smallest pieces, which is what is actually required to do a proper job. This time I was determined to do it thoroughly though.
In reviewing some older posts on our blog, I came across a reference to that initial carb-cleaning job in my post about acquiring confidence (If you haven’t read that post, check it out. It’s pretty good if I do say so myself 🙂 ). I find that a bit of a coincidence because now, after having repaired the engine (we hope), we are in the process of once again developing our confidence in its reliability. Before this issue, the 9.9 performed flawlessly and we would think nothing of using it to travel a mile or two away from our boat. Having it not function, even one or two times, was enough to almost completely shatter that confidence in its reliability. I am happy to report though, that after a bit of carb TLC, all appears to now be well with Yama-Sama. He once again starts on the first pull and will not stall at idle. Hopefully our confidence in him will soon be restored back to its original level.