A productive day
Yesterday was a big work day on the boat. To begin, we had Sheldon, our Raymarine technician, scheduled to install our new suite of instruments. He spent the better part of the day fitting them to the helm station and connecting them together with our new AIS transponder. For those who are curious, we now have (partially) installed:
- Raymarine C95 Chartplotter
- Raymarine i60 Wind Instrument and Masthead Transducer
- Raymarine i50 Depth Instrument
- Vesper Marine XB-8000 Class B AIS Transponder
When completed, all of these things will be integrated together and as a bonus, should be able to share data wirelessly to our iPads. Sheldon still needs to return this morning to run some wires and to make a trip up the mast to run a cable and install the masthead unit. After that, we’ll need to complete a bit of a sea trial to ensure that the autopilot is configured properly into the system.
Christmas in September!
Tying the components together.
Our Raymarine guys were not the only tradesmen that we had on board yesterday though. As our refrigerator had not been getting as cold as we thought it should, I decided to enlist the help of Basil, a very well-known refrigeration technician here in Grenada, to check it out. After a bit of troubleshooting, we received the verdict that our fridge compressor was toast and would need to be replaced. I subsequently learned from other friends who have had Basil work on their boats that he almost never says that something is beyond repair. The fact that he said so in this case means that it must really have been shot!
Our fridge and freezer compressors.
Fortunately for us, Island Water World, a 60-second dinghy ride across the lagoon, had the compressor we needed in stock. Before the end of the day we were back in business. Like Sheldon, Basil plans to return this morning to ensure that everything is working well with the fridge and freezer, and to give our AC units a once over too.
While all these guys were doing their things, Rebecca and I were still plugging away on the watermaker. We even shanghaied our friend Kirk when we found him at Island Water World and dragged him back to the boat to help. The three of us together were able to achieve a significant breakthrough on the installation: we found a way to run the product water from the watermaker location to the area where the water tanks are located. This has been the biggest obstacle for us in the installation (so far) and I hope, now that we’ve crossed that bridge, we’ll be able to get the unit pieced together in relatively short order.
This photo does not do this contorted position justice.