7 Tips to help you overcome the “I’m too embarrassed to work out on the boat” attitude
If you are the type that likes to be the center of attention or you are of the mindset that you don’t care what other people think about you, then working out in front of others is not an issue. For many people however, the idea of exercising on the boat while at anchor where it’s possible that other people may watch you, may seem awkward and feel somewhat embarrassing. The following tips are to help those that fit into the “I’m too embarrassed” category, hopefully getting them into the “I’m going to workout no matter what” category:
- Anchor away from everyone else in a less crowded anchorage if possible. Pick a spot where your ‘workout’ area (typically the bow of your boat) will point away from others (assuming the wind doesn’t shift). This will give you a bit more privacy.
- Workout at a time when you know there won’t be many others around to stare. Early in the morning for example (you can watch the sun rise at the same time!) You could also try during happy hour when many cruisers go to shore to find the local hang out during that time but who wants to miss out on happy hour!
- Realize that most cruisers are only curious and will admire your dedication to fitness. Take their stares as compliments. Once you start receiving positive comments from others who think what you are doing is awesome, it will make it that much easier to do.
- Remember that your workout does not need to be long. Even if you only exercise for 20 minutes, it’s better than nothing! Start with a warm up and work your way into it. Once you get going, you may find that you want to work out longer.
- Wear clothes that are comfortable and ones that make you feel good about yourself. If people are going to be watching they may as well watch you in clothes that flatter you!
- Learn to execute the exercises using proper form and have a set workout that you plan to do. That way when you go to do your workout, you will not look like you are randomly flailing around not knowing a thing about what you are supposed to be doing!
- The more you do it, the easier it gets. Be consistent. Pretty soon you won’t even care who’s watching!